(Photo Credit: Caroline Anne @carolineanneyoga)
Sound has an ancient kinship with meditation and healing. It has been perceived as a potent, powerful vibrational energy. Several cultures and people believe that sound experiences can be linked with deep relaxation and physical pain relief, hence playing an instrumental role in healing.
What is Sound Healing?
Sound healing is the use of vibrations through sacred instruments or voice to release energetic blockages, while inducing a state of ease and harmony in the body.
In nature, vibrations travel via water and air. This is significant when you consider the human body is approximately 65 percent water, evidently making our bodies a mere medium of vibrational frequencies. Each part of our bodies has its own natural resonance, the frequency at which an object naturally vibrates, and vibrational medicine is based on the idea that disease is a result of those natural resonances getting out of tune – whether due to stress, illness or environmental factors. Thus, sound healing synchronizes brain waves to achieve profound states of relaxation, helping to restore the normal vibratory frequencies of the cells in our bodies. A theory also states that sound could stimulate touch fibers that affect pain perception.
Its Health Benefits
Sound healing facilitates healing on a physical and mental level. It has proven to lower stress levels, reduce mood swings, regulate blood pressure and circulation, lower cholesterol and improve sleep. It has cured people of pain from arthritis, menstrual cramps and postoperative pain while improve mobility. Over the years, sound healing has also been used to treat several conditions including anxiety, depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, autism, and dementia.
(Photo Credit: Ariana Ost @arianostny)
Types of Sound Healing
There are several techniques that are used to heal through sound. Some of these are:
- Tuning forks: Calibrated tuning forks can be held to specific parts of the body to send vibrations that release tension and open blocked energy channels. This form of sound healing is good for emotional balance and pain relief.
- Gongs: Gong baths are where the practitioner creates different tones and patterns through gongs to produce vibrations that are great for clearing fears or emotional blocks and improving mental clarity.
- Singing bowls: These have been used in the Tibetan culture since the 12th century. Each bowl, coming in various shapes and sizes, produces a unique vibration that works on separate parts of the brain and body. It elicits a light dream state and can be placed on the body to promote healing.
- Solfeggio Frequencies: This is a form of music that uses specific sound patterns to stimulate the brain. The 7 commonly used Solfeggio Frequencies and their characteristics are:
- 396 Hz – Liberating Guilt and Fear
- 417 Hz – Undoing Situations and Facilitating Change
- 528 Hz – Transformation and Miracles
- 639 Hz – Connecting Relationships
- 741 Hz – Awakening Intuition
- 852 Hz – Returning to Spiritual Order
- 963 Hz – Divine Consciousness or Enlightenment
Solfeggio Frequencies are typically used for transformational purposes and can help improve relationships, deal with fear and change and awaken one’s intuition.
- Binaural Beats: This technique uses earphones where if you listen to a tone of 200 Hz in your left ear and a tone of 205 Hz in your right ear, your brain automatically perceives an illusory tone and produces a new frequency of 5 Hz. This third tone is called a binaural beat. Here, the brain automatically aligns the brainwaves to this frequency. Binaural beats can be used for a variety of purposes such as meditation, lowering stress levels and anxiety, increasing focus, relieving pain and aches, improving sleep, and overcoming depression.
Human consciousness has begun to assimilate that we live in a world where the vibrational energy of music, positive thoughts, and words of love and harmony produce peace and beauty while vibrations lacking this positive energy produce distortion. While there are many types of sound healing, each one offers a host of benefits that can improve your wellbeing, energy levels, and performance. Here, discover our Crystal Sound Healing Kit to experience the wonders of healing through sonic vibrations and crystals.
Leave a comment